Flip joined the firm in 1977 and spent his career helping companies with issues centered on oil and gas litigation and regulation involving the Railroad Commission of Texas and the General Land Office. Flip became board certified in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law in 1986, was chairman of the Oil, Gas & Mineral Law Section (now Oil, Gas & Energy Resources Section) of both the State Bar of Texas and Travis County Bar Association, was a frequent guest teacher at oil, gas and energy related classes and seminars at The University of Texas School of Law and was selected for “Lawyer of the Year” in Oil & Gas Law, by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® Report, 2014. In 2017, Flip was honored with the Who’s Who Worldwide Lifetime Achievement Award.
Flip graduated from the University of Texas at Austin in 1969 and earned his J.D. from the University of Texas School of Law in 1972. Read full obituary here.
Some of Flip’s career honors and distinctions:
- University of Texas at Austin, B.A., with honors, 1969
- University of Texas School of Law, J.D., with honors, 1972
- Chairman, State Bar of Texas Oil, Gas, and Mineral Law Section, 1989-90
- Chairman, Travis County Bar Association Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Section, 1986
- Chair, Oil and Natural Gas Exploration and Production Committee of the American Bar Association’s Section of Natural Resources, Energy and Environmental Law, 1994-96
- Chambers USA Band 1 recognized practitioner in Energy: State Regulatory & Litigation (Oil & Gas) in Texas, 2019 – 2021
- Selected for The Best Lawyers in America in Oil & Gas Law, by BL Rankings, 2007-2022
- Who’s Who Worldwide Lifetime Achievement Inductee, 2017
- Texas Super Lawyer, Energy & Resources, a Thomson Reuters business, 2003-2019
- Go-To Guide Finalist in Energy Law, a publication of the Texas Lawyer, 2012
- Selected for “Lawyer of the Year” in Natural Resources Law, by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® Report, 2012
- Selected for “Lawyer of the Year” in Oil & Gas Law, by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® Report, 2014, 2016