John’s practice covers all of the firm’s practice areas, with a focus on oil & gas litigation and regulation. John also represents clients in administrative matters before the Texas Railroad Commission, the Texas Public Utility Commission, and the Texas General Land Office. In addition, he advises clients on various contract and oil and gas lease issues. John is Board Certified in Oil, Gas & Mineral Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
John graduated from the University of Texas School of Law and served as a judicial clerk to the Honorable Will Garwood on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. John also served as a submarine officer in the U.S. Navy, on active duty for over ten years and as a reservist for twelve years, retiring at the rank of commander. John has a B.S. in Petroleum Engineering from the University of Texas at Austin, an M.S. in Engineering-Economic Systems from Stanford University, and a Masters in Strategic Studies from the U.S. Army War College.
- University of Texas, B.S. in Petroleum Engineering, with high honors, 1986
- Stanford University, M.S. in Engineering-Economic Systems, 1996
- University of Texas School of Law, J.D., with high honors, 2005
- U.S. Army War College, Masters in Strategic Studies, 2010
- State Bar of Texas
- Board Certified in Oil, Gas & Mineral Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals
- Fifth Circuit
- Member of the Oil, Gas and Energy Resources Section of the State Bar of Texas, and the Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Section of the Austin Bar Association.
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation