Steve is an accomplished trial lawyer respected for his skill in the courtroom as well as his exemplary ethical standard of practice. Having tried over 200 cases to jury verdict, Steve’s experience in the courtroom spans a wide range of issues including breach of fiduciary duty, theft of trade secrets, patent infringement, probate, breach of contract, environmental, election law, class action, mass torts, oil and gas, and professional malpractice defense.
In the first half of 2019, Steve has tried two multi-week jury trials involving multi-millions of dollars to successful jury verdicts and handled a multi-week arbitration that resulted in a successful outcome for the client. In recognition of his excellent advocacy, superb reputation and recent outstanding trial results, TEX-ABOTA named Steve the 2019 Lawyer of the Year and awarded him Diplomate Status.
He has represented Fortune 500 Corporations, some of Texas’s largest law firms, the Chief Justice of the Texas Supreme Court, family owned businesses, and individuals. Steve is committed to fostering the firm’s legacy of dedicated client advocates by continuing to lead strong trial teams, sharing his legal knowledge and serving the community.
- Baylor University, J.D. with honors; Editor in Chief, Baylor Law Review
- Briefing Attorney to Justice Jack Pope, Texas Supreme Court
- Associate Professor at Baylor University School of Law for Practice Court, 2006
- Associate Professor at the University of Texas Law School for Professional Responsibility, 2002
- Board Certified in Personal Injury and Civil Trial, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, since 1982
- State Bar of Texas
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Southern, Northern and Western Districts of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Admitted to practice for specific cases in California, Florida, North Carolina, Louisiana and Nevada.
- Member, State Bar of Texas Court Administration Taskforce, 2007-2008
- Member, State Bar of Texas Referral Fee Taskforce, 2004-2006
- Chairman, Litigation Section, State Bar of Texas, 1992-1993
- Life Member, Texas Bar Foundation
- Member, American Bar Association
- Life Member, American Bar Foundation
- Texas Supreme Court Advisory Committee, 1984-1993
- President, Texas Supreme Court Historical Society, 2005
- President, Baylor Law School Alumni Association, 2003-2004